On a snowy day in January 1982, Lenawee County Railroad Alco S-2 #1 “Addison J. Comstock” waits near the Norfolk & Western Railway diamond in Adrian, Michigan. The crew is having a conversation on the ground as they await a signal.
#1 was built for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad as their #514 in October 1948. It was the LCRC’s first locomotive when the company started in 1977. A month or so later it will become stuck in a snow drift near Weston, Mich., and suffer a cracked block while awaiting rescue. It will live on for a few years as a parts donor before being scrapped.