A post relating to the New York Central Railroad

 
 
  • The D&LN Comes To Town

    The D&LN Comes To Town

      by Edward D. Hodges Originally published in “The Cross Tracks” Summer 1987 issue on the occasion of the 90th anniversary of this event; this year–2017–marks the 120th anniversary of the completion of the D&LN. TOOT! TOOT! TOOT! The Lima Northern […]

     
  • SMRS summer service begins (1988 edition)

    SMRS summer service begins (1988 edition)

    Spring is a time to look back at how the SMRS entered the 1988 tourist season…   Summer Service Begins Originally published in “The Cross Tracks” winter 1988 issue By Jeff Dobek Saturday, April 30, 1988 will mark the start of […]

     
  • Clinton Yard—then and now

    Clinton Yard—then and now

    Since the early 1960s, when the section north to Manchester and Jackson was removed, Clinton, Michigan has served as the terminus of the Jackson (later Clinton) Branch of the New York Central, Penn Central and Conrail. In the 1980s, the […]

     
  • The "Cut-Off" come to life—Michigan motor car adventures in the 1950s

    The “Cut-Off” come to life—Michigan motor car adventures in the 1950s

    by Jeffrey Dobek photos from the Gary Zeitler collection This article originally appeared in Issue 34 of “The Speeder”, the publication of the Motor Car Collectors of America, in Autumn 1995. Over the last decade, the motor car hobby has grown, […]

     
  • Hillsdale 1908

    Hillsdale 1908

    Hillsdale was the “hub” of the network of New York Central secondary lines in southeastern Michigan. The Toledo-Elkhart “Old Road” ran through Hillsdale, and branch lines headed out in all directions. Here we find a nice vintage shot from Hillsdale, […]

     
  • Conrail camp car finale

    Conrail camp car finale

    Into the 1970s, camp cars were a railroad tradition. Often converted from old heavyweight passenger cars from the 1920s or 30s, camp cars were used by the railroad maintenance-of-way department for housing track crews (or “gangs”) which moved around the […]

     
  • A walk along the DT&M Spur

    A walk along the DT&M Spur

    When the Southern Michigan Railroad Society purchased its line in the 1980s from Conrail, the sale included what was known as the DT&M Spur in Tecumseh. This was the last remnant of the former-Detroit, Toledo & Milwaukee Railroad (DT&M), which […]

     
  • Tecumseh southbound

    Tecumseh southbound

    It appears to be a warm day on 13 June 1980, when photographer David J. Mrozek caught the Conrail “Clinton Local” just after leaving Tecumseh. At this time the “Local” would leave Clinton mid-afternoon each day, traveling through Tecumseh and […]

     
  • The LCRC gets creative at Grosvenor

    The LCRC gets creative at Grosvenor

    Between 1980 and 1982, the Lenawee County Railroad Company (LCRC) had trackage rights over Conrail’s Clinton Secondary track between Lenawee Junction and Grosvenor, MI. This allowed the LCRC to access its Morenci Branch, which ran between Grosvenor and Morenci. (In […]

     
  • Photo day—RDC at Saginaw in 1962

    Photo day—RDC at Saginaw in 1962

    Here’s a scene full of atmosphere! A New York Central “Beeliner” RDC-3 car departs from Saginaw, Mich. on southbound train #394, The Northerner, on 26 August 1962. Service between Mackinaw City and Saginaw would be discontinued 8 days later on 03 September […]

     
 

Theme by HermesThemes

Copyright © 2017 Tecumseh Junction. All Rights Reserved