Hillsdale was the “hub” of the network of New York Central secondary lines in southeastern Michigan. The Toledo-Elkhart “Old Road” ran through Hillsdale, and branch lines headed out in all directions.
Here we find a nice vintage shot from Hillsdale, dated 1908. These railroad workers look like a mixed group—trainmen for certain, possibly also some track workers or even someone from the office.
In the background, the wooden caboose proudly proclaims “Lake Shore & Michigan Southern” across its flanks. It would be another six years before the LS&MS was folded into the parent New York Central Railroad.
It’s a rare view into another time.